cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Conversion from type 'DBNull' to type 'Long' is not valid.' error when using default 'Update Status' Work Queues action.

brad_doucette
Level 3

A number of processes are throwing the following internal error when running from the control room in our production environment. This does not occur when stepping through/over the action in the dev environment.

ERROR: Internal : Conversion from type 'DBNull' to type 'Long' is not valid.

This is occurring occasionally when the process attempts to call the built-in 'Update Status' action from the 'Work Queues' object. It does not occur every time but the logs do not seem to indicate any specific cause and I have been unable to replicate the error in testing. This has been occurring since migrating from Blue Prism version 6.5 to 6.5.1.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? Anyone found a specific cause and/or resolution?

Thanks!

------------------------------
brad.doucette
America/Toronto
8 REPLIES 8

VedSengupta
Level 6
Hello Brad,
I take it since you are using update status attribute in WQ VBO you must be passing text.

Are you setting the value in runtime dynamically via some data item or is it a hard coded value?
In Development or sandbox can you see if you can catch the error?

Best Regards,
Ved Sengupta
RPA Developer
Deloitte India (Offices of the US)
Bangalore | INDIA
------------------------------ Best Regards, Ved Sengupta RPA Developer Deloitte India (Offices of the US) Bangalore | INDIA *If you find this post helpful mark it as best answer* ------------------------------

Hi Ved,

The processes are using a hard coded text value to update the work item status.
I have not been able to replicate the error in Development or Sandbox.

Thanks,
Brad 

brad.doucette
America/Toronto

Hello Brad,
Can you once share the action screenshot here?

Best Regards,
Ved Sengupta
RPA Developer
Deloitte India (Offices of the US)
Bangalore | INDIA
------------------------------ Best Regards, Ved Sengupta RPA Developer Deloitte India (Offices of the US) Bangalore | INDIA *If you find this post helpful mark it as best answer* ------------------------------

Attached screenshot of the properties of one of the actions which has thrown this error.

brad.doucette
America/Toronto

Too me it looks like your item ID value is getting blank value , Not very sure though ! Can you check this once ?

Vipul Tiwari
Senior Process Simplification Developer
Amazon
------------------------------ Vipul Tiwari Senior Process Simplification Developer Amazon ------------------------------

Thanks for the suggestion Vipul but when a blank or null value is provided in the 'Item ID' field, a different error is returned:

"ERROR: Internal : Invalid item ID"

brad.doucette
America/Toronto

I'm getting the same error. I figured out the following:

Both queue item IDs below are valid, but:
314ff05a-5aab-49c6-86be-281458dc53c9                       - throws the conversion error
6faff57f-d505-444c-a19f-36c3a883b526                        - does not throw the conversion error.

Anyone smart enough to decipher why? Both have been tried manually, with attention to having no white spaces between the brackets.

Zoltan BALINT

I know this post is slightly old, but for me generally this happens when the Item ID actually does not exist at all in the database. It also happens when using the Get Item Data action:

Clearing the work queues and re-collecting data generally solves it on my end. Have reported this to BP Support too with the following response:

"They will receive this error if they call the 'Get Item Data' action using an item id which does not exist in the target Work Queue."

Jordan Harvey
Developer
Norfolk County Council
+441603223915