Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Item character limit?

HarshilMehta
Level 4
Hi, 

I have couple of questions. 

1. What is the limit of characters Dataitem can store? Is there even a hard limit or we can technically extract and store any size string? 
2. What is the limit of rows a Collection can store? 
3. What is the limit of characters a single Environment variable can store?

Appreciate any help! 

Thanks, 
Harshil

------------------------------
Harshil Mehta
Solution Designer
Deloitte
3 REPLIES 3

Daniel_Sanhueza
Level 8
Hello Harshill, 

My answers are based on my experience only, hope it can help you

1.- I think there's no limit of characters that you can store in a Data Item, I've developed a bot that create an HTML file with the report of 10 different applications and the whole HTML was store in a Data Item and everythings works fine. (more than 100k of characters)

2.- It depends on the environment that you are working on. For example, If you read an excel with 30k of rows into a collection it will probably throw you an error "System.OutofMemory Exception" or something like that, so the recommend approach is to read that in small groups and then call the garbage collector, the number of rows to copy will depend on the memory that is available, Ive work in a project where if I read more than 500 rows it crashed, in other project with 5k and there was no problem, so you have to test it.

3.- I think there's no need to write a bunch of characters in an environment variable, but if you ask me I will say the same limit that the Data Item has, none. 

May be Im wrong, Im only talking about my experience in development and Im eager to hear different point of view!

Daniel Sanhueza
Analyst
Deloitte
America/Santiago
Daniel Sanhueza
RPA Professional Developer
Deloitte

VivekGoel
Level 10
Hi Harshil,

In addition to Dainel's response,

Theoretically, any data item/​​collection/env variable can store as much data as your Disk size. However for performance optimization , consider Daniel's recommendations

Vivek Goel
RPA Architect
Asia/Singapore
+6594554364
https://www.rpatools.com/
"If you like this post, please press the "Recommend" Button.

HarshilMehta
Level 4
Thank Daniel and Vivek. This helps!

Harshil Mehta
Solution Designer
Deloitte