cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Development Federation | Securing Environment

ryanamiller
Level 5
Hello All, As seen in the v6 page, User-Based permissions are going to be included in a "future" release: https://www.blueprism.com/v6 Until that point, we'd like to see if federating either Bot Controlling or Development is something that can be implemented securely.  Is anyone else allowing access to their Blue Prism environments to other groups within their company?  If so, how are you managing who can access certain Bots to run automations?  For example, making sure a user in the Accounting department cannot run their automation on a Bot designated to run Accounts Payable automations.
6 REPLIES 6

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Currently I don't think you can stop anyone starting a process on the 'wrong' resource, but with credential access rights you could make the process fail when it tried to log into an application. Perhaps you could also make use of environment variables or locks to enable a process to check if it was running on the right machine, at the right time, as the right user etc, and stop if anything was abnormal.

ryanamiller
Level 5
Thanks John, those are some interesting ideas So until the new release incorporates those ideas, there's nothing from an install/configuration point of view, outside of maybe a completely separate BP install that could be implemented?

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
No not really, BP currently is a 'one team' set up, and you have to invent any 'multi-team' working practices yourself. Naming conventions are a basic measure, but operational/security preventions, aside from creativity with credentials etc, are not there yet. Soon, but not yet. If you go down the separate environment route, you'll need to think about licensing as legally you can't reuse the same license in two production environments. We can easily reissue new licenses to keep you within compliance though.

ryanamiller
Level 5
I'm sure you won't be able to answer this but I'll ask anyway, are these features included in 6.3, or another upcoming release?

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
The grouping feature will be in 6.3 but multi-environment licensing won't.

ryanamiller
Level 5
Thank you John, I appreciate the insight