cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to insert work items into Work Queue?

HongJooChoi
Staff
Staff

Dear Community
We were queried by the customer as to whether there's any way for the 3rd-party entity (such as Chatbot) to insert work items into the existing Work Queue.
What would be the simplest way to enable the 3rd-party entity to access the Work Queue?
Looking forward to your guide.

Best regards

------------------------------
HongJoo Choi
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

@HongJooChoi,

If you're testing this locally on your machine and you go to http://127.0.0.1:8181/ws/ and you're getting a connection refused then you either:
  • Don't have an actual Blue Prism runtime resource instance running
  • You do in fact have some sort of firewall running which is intercepting the request.
  • Your runtime resource is configured to require HTTPs
Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

View answer in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Blue Prism Interact can do this but its a Blue Prism tool itself connected and setup with its own VBO and Web API.
But you can get some idea how that is being done by exploring it.

If I was of assistance, please vote for it to be the "Best Answer".

Thanks & Regards,
Tejaskumar Darji
Sr. Consultant-Technical Lead

PvD_SE
Level 12
Hi H,

I'd start having a look at creating a webservice that adds a Q item. This webservice can be called by the 3rd party software. Another thing of interest might be Interact where you let the Chatbot fill out the form and get the Q item created that way. I'm aware there are more options but these seemed the most obvious to me.

Good luck with the project and please let us know what way you took and how things developed.

Happy coding!
---------------
Paul
Sweden
Happy coding!
Paul, Sweden
(By all means, do not mark this as the best answer!)

chris.strong
Staff
Staff

Hello @HongJooChoi

With the launch of Version 7 back in May 2021, with introduced a restful API and one of the first capabilities we included, was the ability to Add Work Queue items from external systems.

Therefore, I recommend leveraging the Blue Prism API, it's what it is intended for.

See: Online Help: Blue Prism API version 7.1  

Tip: It's the Create Work Queue items endpoint that you'd start with

Kind regards

Chris Strong

Blue Prism Product Manager

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

ewilson
Staff
Staff
Hello @HongJooChoi,

As @chris.strong mentioned, the BP REST API is the recommended approach if your customer is on v7 or later. If they are on an earlier version of Blue Prism (ex. v6.10) then the next best approach would be to create a VBO that can be exposed as a SOAP web service. That VBO could expose an action to accept the input data and then push it on the associated work queue.

Other alternatives include the use of message queue platforms like Apache Kafka or others to communicate the information into the BP environment.

Cheers,
​​

Eric Wilson

Hi @ewilson

Thank you for the guide.

We found the Process Dispatch Framework from the DX, which looks like fulfilling the dispatcher functions based on SOAP communication between Blue Prism and external entities. One of the preliminary settings in order to use this asset is to expose the existing process (to be trigged by 3rd-party entity) as a web service.

After having configured the process exposure from the system tab, the web page (http://[machinename]:<port>/ws/.) seems to be supposed to appear as below according to the manual but in my case, error message showed up saying "Access denied". I'm testing this in my own laptop and there's no firewall settings.

Can you help out? Did I miss something?

<Manual>
25327.png
<My laptop>
25328.png

Regards

HongJoo Choi

Hi @HongJooChoi,

From what I can see of the error screen, it looks like you're navigating to a different machine than what the first browser screen shows. Do you have two different NICs or different machine names?

Cheers,

Eric Wilson

Hi, @ewilson

This test is being done on the same machine, where Blue Prism v7.1.1 is installed. 
"최홍주-123" is my hostname and I've got the same error with "http://localhost:8181/ws/" as well.

Regards

HongJoo Choi

Hi, @Eric Wilson and all

To narrow down the issue, I would like to put it this way:

The purpose is to expose Blue Prism Processes/Objects to the 3rd-party entity, i.e., Chatbot in this case.

1) Following the Web Service User Guide, the Exposure settings in the system tab has been done.
25337.png
2) But, I couldn't find any WSDL file generated anywhere in my laptop as a result of this setting. 
The SOAP Web Services setting is also empty. 
25338.png
3) When attempted to set this SOAP Web Services by manual, there came up the error message perhaps due to the absence of WSDL.
25339.png
I guess there must be something that I missed or I may have misunderstanding as to how it works.

Can anyone give any advice?

Regards

HongJoo Choi

@HongJooChoi

Have you tried opening the wsdl with "http://127.0.0.1:8181/ws/"  ?

Shashank Kumar
DX Integrations Partner Consultant
Blue Prism
Singapore
+6581326707