cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 provider is not registered on the local machine.

Bava
Level 2

One of my object is  getting data from an excel file.  But I am getting "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 provider is not registered on the local machine.  

It was working fine when office 2016 was there.  Now we have office 365.  

My connection string is "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source={FILE PATH};Extended Properties='Excel 12.0 Xml;HDR=YES';".  Any help would be appreciated?  Thanks. 

------------------------------
Bava Bavaharan
6 REPLIES 6

Hi Bava,

The Microsoft ACE OLEDB 12.0 driver is used to connect to Microsoft Excel workbooks and other data sources using OLE DB. It is not included in Office 365 by default 1. I guess when you upgraded to 365, it removed your redistributable for 12.0. You can download the redistributable from here. Download Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable from Official Microsoft Download Center

Your connection string looks good to me. Let me know if this works. 

Thanks!

Christopher Potvin
Senior RPA Developer
SS&C Blue Prism
Canada

Walter.Koller
Level 11

Please find here the link to download the most recent versions of ACE for Office: 

Download Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable from Official Microsoft Download Center

and this should be the 365 version:

Download and install Microsoft 365 Access Runtime - Microsoft Support

It should be downward compatible and connection strings for OLEDB.12 should work. (of course it will also work with OLEDB.16). See the 'Details' section on the download page for further details

Please also note:

'The Microsoft 365 Access Runtime is not compatible with Office products installed with Windows Installer'

Walter Koller
Solution Manager
Erste Digital / Erste Group Bank
Europe/Vienna

Thanks Christopher for the prompt response. I  have already installed the  2016 runtime distributable.   I have tried both 64 bit  first and  no luck.

Then tried with 32 and 64 bit. However no luck

Thanks.

Bava Bavaharan

"You can download the redistributable from here. Download Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable from Official Microsoft Download Center"

We also wrestled with this and the only answer (with BP 6.10.x) was as above. We found this a very unhappy solution due to this 2010 version being out of support for several years.

We were told that when BP is 64-bit (with BP 7.x.x) then it will be fixed because it will then natively connect to O365 without the need to install this 2010 OLEDB. We have begun testing BP7 and believe this is indeed true.

Ian B

We found that only the 2010 version would work with BP 6.x

Several of our devs spent a long time trying to get it to work with 2016 OLEDB

Ian B

We are using 6.9 and just recently where checking our ACE versions to see if we should upgrade when we noticed we are already using 16/365 version (while still using connection string OLEDB.12).

I don't know the new interface between BP 7.x with O365 but we deliberately did not use the API for automation to reduce any overhead and possible causes of error and a couple of other points to be considered when using API (like all possible 'surprises', such as pop-ups, when working with Excel application).

OLEDB provides access directly to the content without much having to bother about Excel application. Does BP v7.x provides similar access? Where can I find some more information on this? This will be definitely of interest for us.

Walter Koller
Solution Manager
Erste Digital / Erste Group Bank
Europe/Vienna