cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple instances of resource PC on same VM?

AstridStollberg
Level 6
​Hi - is there a way to setup 1 VM as resource PC for more than 1 Blue Prism Environment?
Background: we have a process which shall run regularly on all 3 environments (DEV, UAT, PROD).
So I'd like to avoid having to setup 1 VM per environment.
But if I try to run more than 1 Resource PC on a single VM I'm getting:
"[2019-09-06 10:35:55Z] Listener failed : Unable to start listener - is this machine already running as a Resource PC? : Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted
[2019-09-06 10:35:55Z] Will retry in 2 minutes"

Any thoughts?

------------------------------
Cheers Astrid
Cheers [FirstName]
2 REPLIES 2

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
There is a way to do it, but the recommendation is not to have cross-over between environments. Mainly for security, but also to avoid mistakes where you forget which environment you are in.

The method is to adjust the RR start up command to include the name of the connection to use. If you don't specify a connection the RR will use what ever is the current connection. But if you have more than one connection (eg dev, test, prod) then you can direct the RR to start using a named connection. You could set up a shortcut for each connection.

See the 'Command Line' section in the Help and look for /dbconname

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

JerinJose
Level 10
​I Completely agree with John. However, Adding the /dbconname alone in the RR startup script will not serve your purpose. You should have 3 different user login setup for the same VM and keep 3 different startup script is user specific startup folders. additionally blueprism will remember the last login user  even after executing a logout through Login agent and BP will keep the RR connected to the last dbconnection.To over come that, you will have to Login to Dev by running Login process to the dev user from prod environment, UAT from Dev environment and prod from UAT environment (or in the order in which you want to run the actual process. this is what John said on confusion on which environment you are currently in). I hope this helps

Jerin Jose
RPA Product SME
EY
Asia/Kolkata