cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OCR Software integrated with Blue Prism

OslienMesa
Level 4
Hello

Our team is starting an investigation into integrated OCR Software with BP, and we would like to know if you can give us some guidance on where to start, software to use, where to start the investigation, etc. Any guidance or help we appreciate.

Att

------------------------------
Oslien Mesa
Developer
Elumini
America/Sao_Paulo
6 REPLIES 6

InJoeKhor
Staff
Staff
Hi Oslien,

There are various options and uses for Optical Character Recognition (OCR) in Blue Prism; however, depending on your particular use case, some are better suited than others.

Using OCR in the automated application

This is the simplest form of OCR that Blue Prism supports. When conventional methods fail to capture (read) text from the application being automated then Surface Automation techniques can be employed. Part of Surface Automation is being able to recognise text displayed by the application allowing Blue Prism to capture the information. Blue Prism makes use of Google's Tesseract open source OCR engine to perform this function.
For more information please see  Guide to Reading Text with OCR.

Using OCR to process data from other sources

Broadly speaking data which is being analysed by OCR can be split in to two categories: Structured and Non-Structured.

Non-structured data

This is the process of detecting and transcribing all recognised text in the source data without applying any formatting or structure to the output. Typically the output would be a simple string of text appearing in the same order that the OCR engine recognised it. Non-structured OCR is typically used to detect text within images, not for obtaining data from formal documents (such as invoices or forms).

To capture text from non-structured documents or images, the following three skills are provided on the Digital Exchange:

All of these options are cloud based AI powered machine learning OCR engines. To use these services an account must be registered with the service provider. Most of the service providers offer a limited free service, with paid subscriptions once the number of free API requests have been exceeded.

For additional information about these OCR services, please check out the links below:

Service Provider Documentation Pricing
Google Cloud Vision Cloud Vision Documentation Google Pricing
Microsoft Azure Computer Vision Computer Vision Documentation Azure Pricing
IBM Watson Visual Recognition IBM Watson Documentation IBM Watson Pricing

InJoe Khor
Blue Prism
Blue Prism
In Joe Khor Sr. Product Consultant Blue Prism

Hi InJoe Khor,
Can you provide a new link to the OCR guide?
The one in your post is no longer active

Hristo Dobrev
Accountant
Clearstream Services
Europe/Prague

Hi Hristo, it is a training doc in Blue Prism University.

Please create a support ticket by emailing support@blueprism.com and we can provide the docs.

Thanks,

In Joe Khor
Blue Prism

Hello InJoe,

Thank you for your quick response. I already opened a ticket last week => 169494
The answer I got so far is "search for it yourself" which is hardly a supportive answer, I have to admit.
I thought that I was doing good when I reached out to mention a broken link.
So far I have spent 5 days and 4 messages just to get a reference a document. I am still empty handed and this is only the first stage - learning what is possible, a phase that should be as quick and painless as possible.

Hristo Dobrev
Accountant
Clearstream Services
Europe/Prague

Hi Hristo,

I have attached the Read text with OCR document to your ticket 169494

Thank you,
InJoe

In Joe Khor
Blue Prism

Document: Guide to Reading Text with OCR
The "Guide to Reading Text with OCR" document is no longer maintained via the Portal and is now hosted within the Blue Prism University (Portal menu: University). 

The following KB Article is related and provides the link to the information in the University.
The direct link in Blue Prism University: Guide to Reading Text with OCR

Paul Anderson
Blue Prism