cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover Stage : Limit the number of times this recover is attempted

JatinKalra
Level 5
Requesting if someone can help me that how could I use checkbox functionality in Recover stage (Limit the number of times this recover is attempted).
Is this functionality overcome the decision stage which we implement for loop. As per my understanding I don't think so.
So requesting please provide any use case of it.
@KaranSareen
@PatrickAucoin

Thanks
Jatin Kalra

​​​

------------------------------
Jatin Kalra
Manager
Genpact
Noida UP
Jatin Kalra Manager Genpact Noida UP [Phone]
5 REPLIES 5

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
The checkbox is intended as protection against an infinite exception loop

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

david.l.morris
Level 14
John basically covered it already, but I wanted to mention some things as well. At first glance, it seems like the feature could take the place of the decision stage so that you could just use recover to resume back to the process flow, but the reason this doesn't work is that it doesn't cause the exception to bubble up. Instead, it immediately terminates the session. Personally, I'd like to see this changed so that it doesn't terminate the session. I do not see the benefit of this. It would make more sense to me for it to cause the exception to bubble up to the next higher level (calling page or w/e).

However, as the feature currently sits, you'll want to expect that if that limit is hit, then your session will terminate. If you decide to use it, just be sure that the limit on the recover stage is higher than your retry loops limit so that the valid retries don't get interrupted unnecessarily by a termination.

Edit: See my next reply/post here for a further explanation. There's a distinction between the recover stage limit when it's in a process compared to when it's in an object.

Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

To follow up on what I just described, let me note that (at least from my testing), it seems that the recover limit will only cause a termination if the recover is inside the process. If the recover that has the limit is inside of an object, it functions as you'd expect and throws an exception that bubbles up to the calling process and does not cause a termination of the session. So, it's going to matter where you put that recover stage.

Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

As sad as it sounds - I opened up a ticket regarding this issue on 10th May 2019. It is a confirmed bug for nearly two years now.

See below message from BP support from back then:

Our development team has confirmed this is a bug and this has been raised as BG-3355. You will be able to see this number referenced in the release notes of a future version of Blue Prism once this issue has been fixed.

In the meantime, the behaviour is as you have noted in that it will terminate the process and this behaviour should be borne in mind when designing your processes in 6.5.0.

Kind regards,
David Kelly
Software Support Analyst
Customer Services

Til Minet
RPA Developer
EWE AG Germany
Europe/Berlin

Excellent question, and some great answers! 

Just for the fun of it, I pressed the question-mark icon in the upper right corner of the Recover properties screen to see what the help-text would say. That ought to explain anything going on with that action into the finest detail - right? Wrong!

Unfortunately, but not really to my surprise, it did not say anything useful, which leads me to the question why it is impossible to populate the help features given by BP with complete and understandable information. The same goes for objects that state the parameters and in best case how they work, but more often that not, they just list the parameters. 

Having worked with the BP product for a while does of cause help, as you are bound to remember how to use some of the parameters or properties to make the thing do what you wanna do. But that doesn't make it right! Instead, it should be like this: If there's help text, it should be complete!

Challenge for the good folks at BP:
For the next version, please complete all help texts for the stage-properties as well as the out-of-the-box objects.

Happy coding!
Paul
Sweden
Happy coding!
Paul, Sweden
(By all means, do not mark this as the best answer!)