cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spying Non Routine PopUps

TonyHann
Level 4
Hi,

Could anyone offer some advice regarding spying PopUps that are not routine (ie, they may not always Pop Up at this time)

I am happy with the concept that spying PopUps requires a separate Object, and can successfully handle PopUps that occur routinely throughout the application that I am modelling.

The issue I have is in instances when a PopUp may or may not occur. Ordinarily I would 'Attach' the PopUp handling object, and then use a Wait Stage, with a 'Check Exists' to handle PopUps I know are going to occur - however in order to use 'Check Exists' the object needs to have attached, however if you don't know if the PopUp is going to be active at this point, you cant attach (as if the PopUp hasn't launched, this will generate an error).

So my question is - if a PopUp 'MAY' occur at some point in an application, rather than 'WILL' occur - how do you handle that?

Many thanks,

T
1 BEST ANSWER

Helpful Answers

peterlacken
Level 7
Hi Tony,

The other issue here is you do not want to introduced a fixed delay in a time out for the pop up box into the process. This slows it down unnecessarily as pop up is just occasion.

The answer is to check for something that exists when the pop up does NOT occur in a time out. Only when that times out should you check for a pop up. Now you can try the attach in an exception block and if it fails you know the pop up is not there. In this case the expected result and the pop up has not occurred and you must raise an error. If you do attach successfully to the pop up then you can handle that and continue.

hope that logic helps 🙂
peter

------------------------------
PeterLacken
Ren Røros Intelligent Automation
Peter.Lacken@rria.no
http://www.rria.no

View answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

peterlacken
Level 7
Hi Tony,

The other issue here is you do not want to introduced a fixed delay in a time out for the pop up box into the process. This slows it down unnecessarily as pop up is just occasion.

The answer is to check for something that exists when the pop up does NOT occur in a time out. Only when that times out should you check for a pop up. Now you can try the attach in an exception block and if it fails you know the pop up is not there. In this case the expected result and the pop up has not occurred and you must raise an error. If you do attach successfully to the pop up then you can handle that and continue.

hope that logic helps 🙂
peter

PeterLacken
Ren Røros Intelligent Automation
Peter.Lacken@rria.no
http://www.rria.no

Thanks Peter, That was really helpful.

Much appreciated 🙂

Tony Hann