cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use Blue Prism - beyond creating password. Ticket 75562

KatieHudson
Level 2
Hi there, 

Please help. Very frustrating - I can't get Blue Prism to work on my PC. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled...

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at BluePrism.AutomateAppCore.LocalDatabaseInstaller.get_a()
at BluePrism.AutomateAppCore.LocalDatabaseInstaller.get_DatabaseExists()
at AutomateUI.WelcomeWizard.h(Object iir, DoWorkEventArgs iis)

------------------------------
Katie Hudson
4 REPLIES 4

PabloAndrizzi
Level 2
I've been having this same issue, same error details. Strangely enough I could run it the first time I installed it, but after rebooting I wasn't able to do so anymore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pablo Andrizzi

That's exactly what happened to me too! 

Really wierd - and very frustrating - and no word from Blue Prism yet. I called them y'day, only to be told my ticket was not 'high' priority... Thanks BP!

Katie Hudson

Edited: Adding an alternative folder path for the location of the configuration files in case you are using the Learning edition of Blue Prism

It may be the case that the Windows user does not have access to the necessary folder where the configuration files for Blue Prism are stored.

If you're using the Blue Prism Trial or Learning Edition, we store configuration files and database in the following two locations (by default):

1. C:\Users\<usernamehere>\AppData\Local\Blue Prism Limited
    2. C:\Users\<usernamehere>\AppData\Roaming\Blue Prism Limited 

Note: The "C:\Users" folder may be in a different folder or drive, depending on how your machine is set up.

If you're using the non-trial version of Blue Prism, configuration files are stored in the hidden ProgramData folder, under "C:\ProgramData\Blue Prism Limited\Automate V3" by default.  The shortcut %PROGRAMDATA% can be used in the Windows Explorer address bar to find this location.  This folder may be located in a different path depending how your machine is set up.

Regardless of which Blue Prism edition you are using, the logged in user (Windows account) needs read and write access to folder where the configuration files are stored. 

Try to verify the following:

Locate the folder that matches the edition that you've installed. Ensure that the current logged in user has read and write permissions to that folder.

If this isn't relevant please let us know a bit more information on where this is happening, and provide some screenshots of where it happens for you.

James Man
Professional Services
Blue Prism
Asia/Hong_Kong

chris.strong
Staff
Staff

Hello Katie,

To double check, are you seeing the issue when trying to install either the Blue Prism Trial or Learning Edition?

Seeing a screenshot and information regarding your Windows version, may help us pin-point the issue.

In the meantime:

If you don't use Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB for anything else on your computer, you could try:

1. Closing Blue Prism
  2. Uninstalling Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB
  3. Open Blue Prism
    1. This will ask you to create a password for your admin user account in Blue Prism
    2. Install Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB
    3. Create your Blue Prism database

30267.png

Chris Strong
Product Owner
Blue Prism