cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to attach

JakobSørensen
Level 4
The team I recently joined has a best practice of having 'Attach' as a seperate action on each object and then call that action first, before any other action on the object is used. So in a simple process, it would look like this:

21404.png
However, in a process that uses a lot of different objects, that also means a lot of 'Attach' stages. So my question is whether this is the correct time to call attach, or if you should it somewhere else. For instance:
  • At the beginning of each action
  • In the initialize action (if this is possible)
  • ...somewhere else?
How do you guys do it?

------------------------------
Jakob Sørensen
14 REPLIES 14

It might be worth mentioning that I have limited the "Retry" stage to 3 retries. After that it will throw the exception outside the block - so no infinite loops 🙂

Jakob Sørensen

Ah, makes sense. I do not use that feature because it doesn't work correctly in most versions of Blue Prism. It might only work wrong from the Process layer, but in some circumstance, it causes an immediate session termination. But I think (and as you've shown) it works as intended from the Object layer.

Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

Hi All,

what would happen If we don't 'publish' attach page in the objects ? Is it still going to work when we run the process from Control room ?

Thanks

New Student

Hi,

If you don't publish an action then that won't be visible itself from the Process Studio, which means you can use that specific action using the Action stage in your process studio.

However, with that being said many times in our solution we do not want to expose all the actions to the process studio, in a way you can say that we want this actions to be private. In this case if we call this Attach action from any other published action in the same business object using a Page stage in the Object Studio then ideally even if we do not publish the Attach action still it will be triggered whenever we call the published action from the Process studio as in the action the 'Attach' action is being called internally via a page reference.

----------------------------------
Hope it helps you and if it resolves you query please mark it as the best answer so that others having the same problem can track the answer easily

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant
Blue Prism 7x Certified Professional
Email: devneetmohanty07@gmail.com

Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please provide a big thumbs up so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future.

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Technical Business Analyst,
WonderBotz India Pvt. Ltd.
Blue Prism Community MVP | Blue Prism 7x Certified Professional
Email: devneetmohanty07@gmail.com

Publishing only affects anything in Control Room when we're talking about publishing a Process. Publishing or not publishing an Object's action is totally different since you can never see an Object listed in Control Room. As Devneet says, the reason for publishing an action is so that it can be directly called by a Process or another Object.

If your Process works to use an action in DEBUG mode (with Process Studio open), then it will work the same from Control Room. The only real difference there is with the speed of execution, so sometimes you'll encounter issues because it's running much faster, but that's a different topic entirely.

Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA