cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NicholasZejdlik
Level 9
Currently, copy/pasting is not supported between processes and objects. I believe this is because objects can contain things that processes cannot have, and vice versa.

Personally, I find that many objects and processes end up using the same elements (I have a lot of middle-tier objects). The situation I typically come across where I need to copy/paste pages between processes and objects is when I need to refactor parts of a process into a middle-tier object.

I've found a workaround to being able to cut/paste between processes and objects, namely that I paste the XML into a text editor, and then alter the first line of the XML, copy it again and afterwards I am able to cut/paste as desired.

So, if I'm going from a page in a process to a page in an object, I would alter this line in the XML:
<process name="__selection__Baxter">
to:
<process name="__selection__Baxter" type="object">
after which, I am able to paste it into the object just fine.

One might ask why I simply don't select all the elements and cut/paste those instead; the answer is, it is more convenient to just cut/paste a whole page. Also, in my specific case, cut/pasting all the elements results in extreme slowness, where cutting and pasting a page does not.

Thus, to improve the UI, I would suggest allowing copy/paste of pages between processes and objects, using the same behavior as copying/pasting all the elements would: trim any stages that are invalid and leave the rest.