cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Tracking Id & Child index

SamLima
Level 7
what is the Difference between Tracking Id & Child index?

------------------------------
Sam Lima
1 BEST ANSWER

Helpful Answers

Hi Sam,

Tracking Id was introduced in the later versions of Blue Prism since the concept of all the modern browsers came into picture. This ID is generated only when you use a 'Launch' stage only and it can be used in Read, Write, and Wait stages to restrict Blue Prism to only interact with the browser instance that was created in the Launch action matching the tracking ID. Now this means ideally if you are working with multiple browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE) this property can help to attach and work with a particular instance of any one of the browser among multiple browsers which are opened up on the screen. However, this feature had a bug for some time and I think after version 7 it got fixed to work as it was intended to do all along.

NOTE: By multiple browsers I mean multiple browser windows opened up which can be the windows of the same browser application or even different browser applications altogether.

Now, when we talk about Child Index it specifically is tied to only one single browser and not multiple browsers. Within one browser if you have multiple tabs opened up then Child Index value can be used in an 'Attach' stage only to connect to various session windows of that single browser itself.

Using a combination of both child index and tracking ID in theory you should be able to attach to any specific browser in case multiple browsers are opened up (Tracking ID will help you here) and within that browser any specific session of tab if multiple tabs are opened up (Child Index will help you here).

----------------------------------
Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please mark it as the 'Best Answer' so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Sr. Consultant - Automation Developer,
WonderBotz India Pvt. Ltd.
Blue Prism Community MVP | Blue Prism 7x Certified Professional
Email: devneetmohanty07@gmail.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope this helps you out and if so, please mark the current thread as the 'Answer', so others can refer to the same for reference in future.
Regards,
Devneet Mohanty,
SS&C Blueprism Community MVP 2024,
Automation Architect,
Wonderbotz India Pvt. Ltd.

View answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi Sam,

Tracking Id was introduced in the later versions of Blue Prism since the concept of all the modern browsers came into picture. This ID is generated only when you use a 'Launch' stage only and it can be used in Read, Write, and Wait stages to restrict Blue Prism to only interact with the browser instance that was created in the Launch action matching the tracking ID. Now this means ideally if you are working with multiple browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE) this property can help to attach and work with a particular instance of any one of the browser among multiple browsers which are opened up on the screen. However, this feature had a bug for some time and I think after version 7 it got fixed to work as it was intended to do all along.

NOTE: By multiple browsers I mean multiple browser windows opened up which can be the windows of the same browser application or even different browser applications altogether.

Now, when we talk about Child Index it specifically is tied to only one single browser and not multiple browsers. Within one browser if you have multiple tabs opened up then Child Index value can be used in an 'Attach' stage only to connect to various session windows of that single browser itself.

Using a combination of both child index and tracking ID in theory you should be able to attach to any specific browser in case multiple browsers are opened up (Tracking ID will help you here) and within that browser any specific session of tab if multiple tabs are opened up (Child Index will help you here).

Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please mark it as the 'Best Answer' so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Sr. Consultant - Automation Developer,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope this helps you out and if so, please mark the current thread as the 'Answer', so others can refer to the same for reference in future.
Regards,
Devneet Mohanty,
Automation Architect,

Hi @devneetmohanty07,

do you know, what was bug for tracking ID?

Devendra Kumar Prajapati
RPA Manager
Infosys
Chandigarh, India
Devendra Kumar Prajapati RPA Manager Infosys Chandigarh, India

Hi Devendra,

The only known official bug was introduced with v.6.9 was BP-1668 which stated that: "Previously created Business Object stages now show a validation error due to missing tracking ID input for Wait stages and some Navigate stages" and it got fixed in v.6.10.

However, I have seen even in v.6.10 multiple browsers like Edge, Chrome or Firefox when used parallelly in a process showed issues which is a different bug altogether.

But recently, upon my discussion with one of the leads in other client who are using v.7.0 they told me this issue was addressed though there is never any official mention or a bug ID raised regarding this issue. I think it mainly occurred because of the inclusion of fixed and ephemeral ports together. Ephemeral port configuration usually supports the tracking ID feature where a tracking ID can be used to restrict actions to specific browsers when automating multiple browsers from one or more instances of Blue Prism. Since, both these settings were included in the prior versions, the tracking ID functionality didn't really worked as expected and a lot of connectivity issues happened while switching within browsers.

Starting v.7.0 all the ports by default are ephemeral by nature hence this issue does not comes in usually anymore.

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty,
Automation Architect,

Thanks Devneet for details.

Devendra Kumar Prajapati
RPA Manager
Infosys
Chandigarh, India