cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition: Database Setup Error: The file '' is invalid

RajNeelam
Level 3
Hi, I've encountered an error after installing Blue Prism Learner edition. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Raj

------------------------------
Raj Neelam
13 REPLIES 13

VivekGoel
Level 10
Did you download the correct file as per your machine OS CPU?
 64 bit installer? Normally retry downloading the file from the website.

Vivek Goel
"If you like this post, please press the "Recommend" Button.

chris.strong
Staff
Staff

Hello Raj,

Assumption: You are attempting to install the Blue Prism Learning Edition v6.6 (64-bit)

We've seen a couple of these this week for the first time, and the strange thing is that Learning Edition has been unchanged since September 2019.

We haven't got to the bottom of this yet, so hopefully we can help each other.

Questions:

1. Is this a brand-new installation on the computer for the first time or are you attempting to re-install?
  2. What operating system are you running on?
    • Tip: A screenshot, using Windows search and searching winver will provide this information.

Rationale for asking: The information may help us narrow down the cause of the issue.

Steps to troubleshoot:

1. Check whether Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB is installed
    • Tip: Windows Settings > Apps & features

If Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB is not installed:

1. Check that Blue Prism has deployed the Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB installer to your computer
    • By default, this is C:\Program Files\Blue Prism Limited\Blue Prism Automate\Installers\SqlLocalDB.msi
    • Where C:\Program Files is the location you choose to install Blue Prism
  2. Check the following Windows registry key is correct:
    • Tip: Windows search and searching regedit will bring up the Windows Registry Editor
    • Open the Location: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blue Prism Limited\Automate
    • Review the Data set in the LocalDB registry key

My guess right now is that the LocalDB key exists, but the data is not set correctly to the location of Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB.  If this is the case, populating the Data in the key may resolve, but not actually tell us what caused the issue in the first place.

Let me know how you get on with the above and I'll attempt to help further.

Screenshots: 

11226.png

11227.png

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Hi Vivek, I restarted the machine and the installation was a success. However, I now get a License error asking me to contact Tech support. Thank you

Raj Neelam

Hi Chris, Thanks for getting back to me. I restarted the machine and the installation was a success. However, I now get a License error asking me to contact Tech support.

Raj Neelam

Thanks guys, found out where I was going wrong. The activation is a success. 🙂

Raj Neelam

Excellent news, I hope you enjoy learning Blue Prism.

Tips:

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Hi Chris, 

I'm getting same error as Raj when trying to install the Trial version.  (Database Setup Error: The file '' is invalid)

I can see that Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB has not been installed ,  but the installer is in place and the registry looks ok to me (see attached) 

I did have a previous BP installation from a year ago which I thought I had removed correctly. 

Can you help?  Should I send you the email I received to be used for installation. 

Colin

Colin Nelson
NA
Personal
Europe/London

Sorted ; had to reboot my machine 

Reboot was outstanding from previous installation of SQL Server

Colin Nelson
NA
Personal
Europe/London

Hello Colin,

Brilliant, thank you for letting the Community know a reboot resolved your issue and why a reboot was needed.

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism