cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BluePrism 6.10 Chrome extension issue

charanReddy
Level 3
Hi Team, 

When I am trying to launch chrome in Blue prism 6.10. it is failing with below exception. could you please suggest how to fix this issue? I am not facing this issue all the time some time blue prism is launching Chrome successfully some times it is failing with below error. 

(Note : I already have Blue prism browser extension installed in my browser.)

The browser extension was not detected, please check that it has been installed and enabled. For more information, see the browser extension user guide. https://bpdocs.blueprism.com/bp-6-10/en-us/Guides/chrome-firefox/chrome-firefox.htm

------------------------------
charan Reddy
developer
accenture
Asia/Kolkata
33 REPLIES 33

This issue still exists in 6.10.1 as well. The good thing is that there's a workaround.

Here are some things that I do to avoid the issue where you have to launch twice to work on application modeller elements:
  1. (EITHER) When you close Chrome in the automation flow, do it in two steps: (a) Close Chrome using the top right X or the 'Close' action when you sy the whole window with Win32, and then (b) Kill the Chrome Process using Utility - Environment. (OR) As an alternative, you can hit the 3 dots at the top right of Chrome and then choose 'Exit' in the popup menu; doing this will successfully cause Chrome to close in such a way that Blue Prism will detach properly as well and preps it for properly launching Chrome again next time.
  2. In app modeller or wherever you use the URL in Launching, include the argument --incognito so that it opens in incognito mode which will keep the 'Restore pages' popup from showing and can help with some other issues as well.
  3. Before it will work in incognito mode, you need to go to the Chrome extension and enable incognito mode for the extension (Right click the Blue Prism Browser extension > click Manage Extensions > click the slider for 'Allow in Incognito' so that it is enabled).

Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

Hi Carl,

Yeah, you're right. I don't think it matters where it's installed. And regardless, I think the main reason it's installed in Program Files vs Program Files (x86) is that Google recently (within the last year or so) changed the install location for Chrome so that it installs in the 64bit Program Files instead of x86. I tested this a few times a few months ago when working with some Virtual Machines where I reinstalled Chrome. One month, it was installing in Program Files (x86) and the next month it started installing in Program Files.

Also, I'm going to mention this here because I'm being lazy today. 😃 There is an issue that still persists with attaching to Chrome upon launching it from Blue Prism. I think a lot of people have discovered this by now. It appears as though you have to launch Chrome twice (leaving the first window open while you launch the second) for Blue Prism to successfully attach to Chrome automatically. I may submit a support ticket to report the bug, but I figured I'd mention it now to you in case I fail to submit the ticket.

Below is the same info I replied with earlier in this same thread for reference: One thing I want to point out is that along with this 'bug' is that Blue Prism doesn't detach from Chrome when you close the Chrome window using the X at the top right or when using the Terminate action of a navigate stage. There are two ways I've found to have it successfully detach: (1) Click the three vertical dots at the top right of Chrome and then click 'Exit' OR (2) Kill the Chrome process.

This issue still exists in 6.10.1 as well. The good thing is that there's a workaround.

Here are some things that I do to avoid the issue where you have to launch twice to work on application modeller elements:
  1. (EITHER) When you close Chrome in the automation flow, do it in two steps: (a) Close Chrome using the top right X or the 'Close' action when you sy the whole window with Win32, and then (b) Kill the Chrome Process using Utility - Environment. (OR) As an alternative, you can hit the 3 dots at the top right of Chrome and then choose 'Exit' in the popup menu; doing this will successfully cause Chrome to close in such a way that Blue Prism will detach properly as well and preps it for properly launching Chrome again next time.
  2. In app modeller or wherever you use the URL in Launching, include the argument --incognito so that it opens in incognito mode which will keep the 'Restore pages' popup from showing and can help with some other issues as well.
  3. Before it will work in incognito mode, you need to go to the Chrome extension and enable incognito mode for the extension (Right click the Blue Prism Browser extension > click Manage Extensions > click the slider for 'Allow in Incognito' so that it is enabled).

Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA

FYI I submitted a ticket for this. Ticket ​#153692.

Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your efforts in this regard! We suffer from problems connecting Chrome in 6.10.1 as well. Before upgrading we had just little problems with Chrome in 6.7.1 so this is quite a disappointment.

Did you get a confirmation back from BP support that this is considered a bug?

Til Minet
RPA Developer
EWE AG Germany
Oldenburg

Hi Til,

Blue Prism has confirmed the behavior of #1 and #2 below. And they're looking at reproducing #3. The status of the ticket is pending the developers classifying these as expected behavior or a known issue. I cannot imagine it comes back as expected behavior. 😃

Bug #1: Attaching to Chrome does not work properly if the Chrome session was not originally started with Blue Prism.
Bug #2: Blue Prism does not always successfully attach upon launching Chrome using either the Launch button in App Modeller or the Launch action in a Navigate stage (this is the one where you have to launch a second instance of Chrome for Blue Prism to successfully attach upon Launch)
Bug #3: Blue Prism does not detach from Chrome when the browser window is closed using the top right X or even when using the Terminate action in a Navigate stage.
​​​​​

Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA

JamesW
Community Team
Community Team
We've noticed a high number of people viewing this thread today - please check out our post V6.10 and V6.10.1 Chrome Extensions are temporarily unavailable from the Chrome Web Store for the current situation with Chrome Extensions.

James Woods
Community Manager
Blue Prism

Like this post? Click recommend!
If I answered your question, please mark as Best Answer!

JaimeSalazar
Level 3
Hello all,

Not sure if this is the exact same scenario (so let me know if this should be in its own thread) but I've also been getting this 'extension not detected' error fairly often recently, and it's happening with Chrome and Edge. We are using a VM with BP v6.10 and have not yet re-installed the 6.10 extension because we'd have to ask IT to do that and I'm sort of working around it as follows.

I've noticed that if I start clean on the VM and run the process, it works fine. Same as if I start clean and run the object (or just hit Launch once I'm in the object). However, if I start with the process and then try to open up the object and launch, I get this error. And vice versa is the same, if I started clean, opened and launched the browser in the object, and then decide to run the process, I get the error. The only thing that seems to fix it is restarting the VM, closing out Chrome, killing the process, or closing and reopening BP doesn't seem to fix it. Therefore, I suspect that once the object makes use of the extension, it locks it out for the process and the process does the same to the object. And it can only be unlocked with a restart of the VM / computer.

I have tried with and without the 'fixed port' settings and it seems to act the same regardless. 

We're not looking to move to BP v7.0 until probably v7.1, but we're hoping that, if this is indeed some issue with BP or the extension, it will have been taken care of with the upgrade.

Thanks

Jaime Salazar

Yes, that is the only solution as of now or we can say workaround (Re-start VM) to handle the chrome issue so that we can avoid system exceptions until we get a concrete solution from the Blue prism team.

Asif Salim RPA Technical Manager - CoE
Technical Manager
Genpact
Asia/Kolkata

Hi Jaime,

A couple questions:
  1. Have you considered upgrading to Blue Prism 6.10.1? I specifically found the issue you're referring to in 6.10, but I have not run into it with 6.10.1.
  2. When you switch between fixed port and ephemeral port, you're restarting the entire runtime resource machine, right? Just want to make sure because the setting doesn't take effect until a restart.

Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA

Hi Dave,

1. We have not. Then maybe that would be a good fix. Not sure if at this point we'll just jump straight to v7 but good to know, thanks.
  2. I have been closing Blue Prism on the computer and opening it back up, but I haven't been restarting the entire machine. I'll definitely keep it in mind next time I run into this issue.

Thanks 

Jaime Salazar