cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BluePrism Database connection configuration

Hi,

I am at the begging of implementing BluePrism and I have one question about setup:

Link about the possibilities of setting up a BluePrism server
https://bpdocs.blueprism.com/bp-6-8/en-us/helpBPServer.htm
24622.jpg

The option from the screen with the intermediary BluePrism Server, is recommended.
As I know BluePrism Server is an intermediary between resources and clients and the database (SQL Server).

The question is: which of the base setup options we should choose from the available and described at the link provided (https://bpdocs.blueprism.com/bp-6-8/en-us/helpConnections.htm?tocpath=Interface%7CAdvanced%20options % 7C _____ 3) in a situation where we want to implement the BluePrism application server option described above. And are there options are just a matter of authentication (then it's best to choose the BluePrism server option) or the method of database settings and setup.

------------------------------
Wojciech Rogman
stuffautomation.com
7 REPLIES 7

JamesMan
Staff
Staff
For a standard Blue Prism installation you will need to set up 2 connection types.

Connection Type 1 is between the Application Server and the Database.  For this connection (which is configured on the Application Server),  you would choose one of:
  1. SQL Server (SQL Authentication)
  2. SQL Server (Windows Authentication)
  3. Availability Group (SQL Authentication)
  4. Availability Group (Windows Authentication)
  5. SQL Server (Custom Connection String)
The one you choose depends on
  1. Whether you are using an Availability Group or just a single MSSQL instance
  2. What type of authentication will you use to connect to the database
Availability Groups are a MSSQL Server Enterprise edition HA/DR feature.  More information about this is available here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/availability-groups/windows/always-on-availability-groups-sql-server?view=sql-server-ver15

Connection Type 2 is between the Interactive Clients/Runtime Resources and the Application Server.  For this, you will choose (on the ICs/RRs) the Blue Prism Server connection type.  After choosing this connection type, you will be asked to choose a connection mode.

There are also six different connection modes (note the difference between connection types and the connection mode, which is only for the BP Server connection type):
https://bpdocs.blueprism.com/bp-6-8/en-us/helpBPServer.htm?Highlight=connection%20mode#Server
  1. WCF: SOAP with Message Encryption & Windows Authentication
  2. WCF: SOAP with Transport Encryption & Windows Authentication
    • WCF: SOAP with Transport Encryption
      • .NET Remoting: Secure
        • .NET Remoting: Insecure
          • WCF: Insecure
            The connection mode that is chosen in the BP Server and the connection mode of the IC/RRs must be the same.

James Man
            Professional Services
            Blue Prism
            Asia/Hong_Kong

Hi @JamesMan,

Thank you for your answer!
            Could you tell me shortly three more things?

Question 1:
            If the Connection 1 (BP APP Server- DB) is setting up during server installation and Connection 2 during logging into client (BP app on RR or ICs)?
            When you are describing Connection 2 are you talking about this connection setting?
            24578.png

Question 2:

- What is this Connection type "BluePrism Server" here
            https://bpdocs.blueprism.com/bp-6-8/en-us/helpConnections.htm ?
            You didn't mention it as one of Connection 1 options​.
              1. It is the key for setup option from screenshot from my first post?
              2. Or is it Connection Type which I should use as you described in your post as Connection 2 to point RR/ICs that the BP server is proxy for their communication with DB?
            Question 3:
            I want to be sure that I understand it correctly: What does it mean "The connection mode that is chosen in the BP Server and the connection mode of the IC/RRs must be the same".
            It means that BPServer - RR/ICs connection mode (from screenshot from Question 1) has to be the same as which connection mode (during setting up the BP Application Server)?

Thank you,

​​

Wojciech Rogman
            stuffautomation.com

Question 1:
            If the Connection 1 (BP APP Server- DB) is setting up during server installation and Connection 2 during logging into client (BP app on RR or ICs)?
            This is correct. 

Connection 1 will likely be created by opening the IC on the machine that will run the Application Server service. Then you would set up the Application Server (through the bpserver.exe program) to use Connection 1.

Connection 2 will need to be created on each Runtime Resource through the IC.  Alternatively, you can set up the connection on one RR and then copy the config files to the other RRs.

When you are describing Connection 2 are you talking about this connection setting?
            Yes.

Question 2:
            - What is this Connection type "BluePrism Server" here
            https://bpdocs.blueprism.com/bp-6-8/en-us/helpConnections.htm ?
            You didn't mention it as one of Connection 1 options​. The reason why I didn't mention it for the Connection 1 (i.e. connection between the App Server and the Database), is because it isn't a valid choice for that particular connection.
              1. It is the key for setup option from screenshot from my first post?
              2. Or is it Connection Type which I should use as you described in your post as Connection 2 to point RR/ICs that the BP server is proxy for their communication with DB? This one
            Question 3:
            I want to be sure that I understand it correctly: What does it mean "The connection mode that is chosen in the BP Server and the connection mode of the IC/RRs must be the same".
            It means that BPServer - RR/ICs connection mode (from screenshot from Question 1) has to be the same as which connection mode (during setting up the BP Application Server)?

Yes, so in your screenshot you have chosen "WCF SOAP with Message Encryption & Windows Authentication" from the RR/IC's side.  The bpserver.exe side also needs to choose this "WCF SOAP with Message Encryption & Windows Authentication" as its Connection Mode

James Man
            Professional Services
            Blue Prism
            Asia/Hong_Kong

Hi,
            Big thanks for your help. It's great to have support and answer from you. 

I can't find one more thing in documentation. 
            I am wondering if server of BluePrism application should has dedicated windows user to communicate with dB server on other localization if we choose sql server windows authentication or is it enough to have it only with RDP access?if this question is not appropriet feel free to tell me that. I am not familiar with server-things. 

Have a good day.

Wojciech Rogman
            stuffautomation.com

It is common practice to have a separate user specifically to start the application server Windows service as you said.  This user will need permission to access the database. On page 4 of this document, you can see the SQL level permissions that a Windows Authentication user will need to correctly interact with the database

https://portal.blueprism.com/system/files/2017-11/v6%20Data%20Sheet%20-%20Provisioning%20a%20Blue%20Prism%20Database%20Server.pdf

James Man
            Professional Services
            Blue Prism
            Asia/Hong_Kong

As I understand dedicated account for SQL server is not needed.

Thank you for your help it was invaluable!

Wojciech Rogman
            stuffautomation.com

Hi James,

I'm not familiar with the configuration.
            I have the following blue prism setup configuration in development. Currently, we only have a development server setup and we wish to access this from a different server such as 10.194.2.

Blue prism was installed on a new server, but we have been unable to configure the below connections to another server. There is no information on how the SQL database is configured.

Could you please tell me how to access my existing development database on the new server?
            Do I need to make any changes to the below connection?

If I made some changes to the below connection, is my current process and object data going to exit? That shouldn't happen!

24620.png

Madhavi Pathare