cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error installing Database; Learning Edition(BluePrismEvaluation6.6)

FeiYe
Level 2
Hi everyone
I have dowloaded Learning Edition but when installing database I have this error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at BluePrism.AutomateAppCore.LocalDatabaseInstaller.get_a()
at BluePrism.AutomateAppCore.LocalDatabaseInstaller.get_DatabaseExists()
at AutomateUI.WelcomeWizard.h(Object iir, DoWorkEventArgs iis)

What can be the problem
Thank you
11036.jpg

------------------------------
Fei Ye
3 REPLIES 3

Hello Fei Ye,
As the installer is failing at the database stage, is SQL installed? Can you confirm you can access the database?
Did you have perhaps Blue Prism installed previously with a database set up and it wasn't removed or perhaps something went wrong during the installation of the trial version. So, what happens is when the Trial/Learning versions try to set up a new fresh Database it'll fail due to not enough permissions to create or overwrite a database.
So, because of this, you will need to remove any existing Blue Prism databases that may have been set up. To do this you will need to have SQL Management Studio installed. (Also removing any existing Database will also cause you to loose any data you may have done in the past.)
Once you have installed SQL Management Studio, launch the application and login using the default credentials it shows and press Connect.
Then under the Databases tab on the left-hand side you should find a Database called BluePrism (or something similar.) right-click on this database and press delete. This will remove the database from the computer. 
Now as I have said above doing this will completely remove the Database from the machine, so if need be please back up the database and make sure you are not removing the database linked to a production environment. Because deleting a database will cause you to loose anything that may have been done on that database.
Now retry the installation and that should go through if it doesn't or you do not have a Database set up then it will most likely be a permission issue on the computer you are installing Blue Prism on.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards

Andrea Vezzoni
Customer Support Engineer
Blue Prism
Andrea Vezzoni Customer Support Engineer Blue Prism

Hello Andrea Vezzoni

Thanks for your answer.

I have SQLServer2017 installed on my PC.
I have installed SQL Management Studio according to your advice,and confirmed that there is no database called BluePrism on my PC.

Where is the problem?
Thank you

11032.jpg

Fei Ye

Hell Fei Ye,

With the Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition installation, we deploy Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB, create an instance called .\BluePrismLocalDB and within that instance a database call BluePrism.

We have seen this issue before and we think we've prevented it happening within the next release of Blue Prism, which as I type this will be v6.7 which we expect to release within the next month or so.

Question: Have you previously had Blue Prism setup and running on this computer?

Rationale for asking: This error has been reported a few times and up to now we've been unable to replicate to prevent it happening.  It seems to occur when someone setups up Blue Prism Trial or Learning Edition, then removes some of it and attempts to install it again.  The reason for my question is to understand whether you have received the error is a similar way to other people or there is something else causing the issue.

To resolve the issue, the following steps seems to have resolved for other people:

Completely remove Blue Prism from your system and install Blue Prism Trial or Learning Edition again:

If its previously worked, I suspect when you clear down and reinstall, everything should work again.  I suspect that Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB thinks the Blue Prism instance and database is still there, but you have removed them from the file system.

It would be good for the community if you let us know how you get on.  This will help the next person who sees this error.

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism