cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation of the WebDriver

GavinRudling
Level 7

Good Day Team

We have just installed the browser automation Agent for manifest V3 extensions and would like to ask a question on installing the web drivers.

Below is an extract from the installation document on how and where to install them.

My question is how we keep the drivers up to date, as we find they change quite regularly?

Is this a manual process?

Any suggestions?

Kind regards

Gavin

Install the web drivers

The Insert and Invoke JavaScript functions rely on having the appropriate version of the Chrome or Edge web driver installed on the machine on which Blue Prism is installed. The web drivers are browser and version specific.

The web driver major version must match the web browser major version, however, the final version number may be different. For example, for Microsoft Edge v111.0.1661.62, you may be able to use web driver v111.0.1661.54, or for Google Chrome v73.0.3683.01, you may be able to use web driver 73.0.3683.20. However, if the web drivers do not behave as expected, you should install the matching driver for your browser.

Edge recommends that you use the same version of the web driver as your web browser (see the Edge WebDriver download page). For more information on Chrome web driver compatibility, see ChromeDriver's information on Version Selection.

Download the required drivers as ZIP files. Extract the web driver executables and save them either in the Blue Prism Browser Automation Agent installation folder (default location is C:\Program Files\Blue Prism Limited\Blue Prism Browser Automation Agent) or in a folder under your PATH environment variable.

------------------------------
Gavin Rudling
Digital Consultant & Developer
Cog3nt
Africa/Johannesburg
7 REPLIES 7

SteveBoggs
Staff
Staff

Hi Gavin,

Best-practice guidance is to keep versions of applications and their underlying components (i.e. web drivers) stable in a Production automation environment. We recommend disabling automatic updates of browsers/drivers/etc. in your Production environment, as we cannot guarantee that all future versions will work the same and without issue.

If your business requirements dictate the upgrade of one of these web drivers (or browser versions) when a new version is made available, it is recommended to test these changes first in a non-production environment (such as Dev/Test) to identify and address any unforeseen issues before promotion to Production.

Steve Boggs
Senior Product Support Engineer
Blue Prism
Austin, TX

Hi Steve

That sounds perfect for our needs. We are using BPC and I am not sure how to disable the automatic updates.

These updates have been a pain for a while now and change quite regularly, breaking our processes.

I guess it will be a ticket to the BPC support group.

Thanks for the feed back and suggestions, much appreciated.

Kind regards

Gavin

Could you please confirm that those webdrivers are not needed anymore with BP v7.3?

Thanks

Walter Koller
Solution Manager
Erste Digital / Erste Group Bank
Europe/Vienna

Hi Walter

We are still using BP v7.1, but if I understand correctly the drivers are required by the Java script inserts if used. I am not sure, and I may be wrong.

Kind regards

Gavin

Hi Walter and Gavin,

We are intending to upgrade from version 7.1.1 to 7.3 soon. We have been told by our Blue Prism rep. that we do not need to have the webdriver installed as we do not make use (and not planning to do so) of any JaveScript actions. Hope to have clarified a little bit.

With kind regards,

Arthur Philippa
RPA Developer
Port of Rotterdam
Europe/Amsterdam

Hi Aurthur, thanks for the clarification.

Yes, that is how I understand it.

Kind regards

Gavin

Hello Arthur,

Thanks a lot for clarifying. This is exactly what I was wondering about if 7.3 still needs webdriver in order to use Java injection. I was just able to find the information that Browser Automation Agent is not needed anymore for 7.3

Cheers

Walter Koller
Solution Manager
Erste Digital / Erste Group Bank
Europe/Vienna