cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Object Run Mode: Exclusive vs Foreground

StefanoPrevosti
Level 3
Hi, I've been thinking about object run modes, and I couldn't think of any situation where you would set the run mode to Exclusive instead of Foreground. I mean, it's good that we have the option if we want to, but is there any case where it's actually recommended to use Exclusive?
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

HanneBakken
Staff
Staff
Hi Stefano,

In Blue Prism we have three different run modes to choose from:

Foreground - the process will run in foreground and can only be run at the same time as background processes.
Background - designed to support multiple background instances running at the same time or at the same time as one foreground process.
Exclusive - Can not be run at the same time as any other process.

One use case for an exclusive run mode is for example if a process displays a very high CPU usage - and cannot be run at the same time as any other process.

Hanne

------------------------------
Hanne Bakken

View answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

HanneBakken
Staff
Staff
Hi Stefano,

In Blue Prism we have three different run modes to choose from:

Foreground - the process will run in foreground and can only be run at the same time as background processes.
Background - designed to support multiple background instances running at the same time or at the same time as one foreground process.
Exclusive - Can not be run at the same time as any other process.

One use case for an exclusive run mode is for example if a process displays a very high CPU usage - and cannot be run at the same time as any other process.

Hanne

Hanne Bakken

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Hi Stefano - if your application required Surface Automation, you would not want another process running in the same machine and getting in the way.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

Hi John,

Can we run the Surface automation bit using Foreground mode while running other background processes as they will not be using the desktop screen as such.

Also the Blue Prism provided VBO- Email - POP3/SMTP has a default run mode of exclusive, is this really required? or we can change it to foreground/background as needed?

Regards,
Manish

Manish Rawat
Project Manager
Mercer
New Delhi

Hi Manish

1. Yes if the background processes do not disturb the 'vision' of the foreground process, it should work fine. Remember that each process will consume a license, regardless of run mode.
2. That sounds like an error in the VBO, like you I can't see why it should be exclusive - go ahead and change it.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism