cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power BI Dashboard real time integration

SANJIBSINHA
Level 4
Hi, I want to integrate blue prism logs with power bi, could you please help me with the configuration steps and how to fetch different tables from blueprism database in order to showcase the real time data into the dashboard.

------------------------------
SANJIB SINHA
Software Senior Engineer
9 REPLIES 9

HarishM2
Level 6
Hi Sanjib,

When you say logs it means work queue data or session logs? 
If you are talking about session logs  I think you need to  create a view using joins to connect different tables and populate the required columns and connect the sql table to Power BI(And you need to create similar columns in power BI to accept the data from sql )
If its is work queue data  you need to  create a new table and Before completing the  process update the table  every time it run's. and connect this table to Power BI.

I connected the work queue data with tableau, It might be similar to do in  power BI. There are different ways to connect data most of the business tool like  sql, excel or cloud data....

Thanks

Harish kumar
RPA Developer

HI Harish,

Could you please tell me how you have sent data to Tableau.
I am going to do the same what you have done.

Amlan Sahoo
RPA Consultant
Equinix
Regards,
Amlan Sahoo

Hi Amlan,

i)Create a table in SQL - Table need to have same fields of the collection which you are intended to update in  Tableau.

ii)In the code stage  you need to create sql bulk copy to push the data to sql, And connect the sql to tableau.
iii) once  the data is in collecion, Call the sql bulk copy it will copy all the data from  blue prism collection to sql  and it automatically update to Tableau(If you're tableau source is connected to Data base).

SqlConnection con = new SqlConnection(con_string);
SqlBulkCopy bulk = new SqlBulkCopy(con);
bulk.DestinationTableName = Dest_Table;
con.open();
bulk.WriteToServer(coll);
con.close()

Input parameters
con_String(Text) - connection String of SQL table
Dest_Table(Collection) - SQL Table
coll(Collection) -  Source collection

Harish
RPA Developer

Thanks Harish. For your help i will get back if i stuck anywhere.

Amlan Sahoo
RPA Consultant
Equinix
Regards,
Amlan Sahoo

Hi Harish,

Could you please explain how to connect blue prism work queue to Power BI.

Thanks & Regards
Sadath Sheik

Sadath Sheik

Hi Sadath,

My recommendation is don't connect your Blue Prism Database to any 3rd party BI or reporting tool, especially real-time. It may harm the performance of all Blue Prism environment. However, there are two main way to connect Power BI to BP Database.

1. As Harish recommend before, you can create BP project or an other automated job to write desired data from BP database to an other database. Then connect this database from Power BI. You may want schedule this job to most suitable time period.
2. Use import or directquery in Power BI. Set SQL Datasource as BP Database.

Taha Sonmez
ROM Architect
SabanciDx

Hi Sadath,

I didn't tried in Power BI . But My guess is it work in similar wayas Tableau. As Sonmez mentioned you might need to follow second steop to connect Power BI. Also he rightly suggested not to use Blue Prism Database for Dashboatd  If you try to use Pro database it  will massively impact on your  Prod environment.

Harish
RPA Developer

It would definitely not be recommended to connect a dashboard to read directly from a production Blue Prism database. This can significantly impact the operational performance of Blue Prism and can result in failures executing processes.

The safest way to implement a dashboard would be to read the data from a replica of the production Blue Prism database, to achieve near real time reporting I would suggest looking into;

SQL Server Availability Group Readable Secondary Replicas

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/availability-groups/windows/active-secondaries-readable-secondary-replicas-always-on-availability-groups?view=sql-server-ver15

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/availability-groups/windows/configure-read-only-access-on-an-availability-replica-sql-server?view=sql-server-ver15

Transactional Replication

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/replication/transactional/transactional-replication?view=sql-server-ver15

Data Gateways may also be an option, with Data Gateways you can output Session Logs, Published Dashboards, Work Queue Item Snapshots along with custom data (when processes are integrated with the Data Gateways Internal Business Object). This data can be sent to files, Splunk, another SQL Server database or a HTTP endpoint in a JSON format. See the "User Guide - Data Gateways" document on the portal for more information on Data Gateways.

Regards

Chris McGowan
Senior Technical Consultant
Blue Prism

Hi Harish,
is there any way to refresh data in current tableau file and export pakaged work book from there by using Blue Prism?

Thanks,
Sourabh

Sourabh Singh