Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tag filter using wildcard

KeerthanaJ
Level 5
Hello,

i Have 2 questions, 

I am trying to Get next item from a queue using tag filter "consumer*". So just to confirm, can i use wildcards in Get Next Item action to filter tags??

And can i use date time stamps in tags??

------------------------------
Keerthana J
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

gmarquez
Level 6
Hello,

Yes, you could use the wildcard in your filter but what you asked next concerns me. If you are on BP version 5, tag performance was great with large amounts of unique tags.  If you are on BP version 6+, tag performance isn't as good as it was on 5 and we recommend keeping the number of unique tags to a minimum. If you are date time stamping each work queue item, then that creates a TON of unique tags which will eventually lead to performance issues/errors in 6.x+ versions of BP.  Combine the wildcard search with a TON of unique tags to query in the database and you have a recipe for disaster.  

So, the lessons here. You can use wildcards. Do not use date time stamp for tags. Keep the number of unique tags to a minimum.

I hope that helps.

Gabe Marquez
Technical Support Engineer
Blue Prism

View answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

gmarquez
Level 6
Hello,

Yes, you could use the wildcard in your filter but what you asked next concerns me. If you are on BP version 5, tag performance was great with large amounts of unique tags.  If you are on BP version 6+, tag performance isn't as good as it was on 5 and we recommend keeping the number of unique tags to a minimum. If you are date time stamping each work queue item, then that creates a TON of unique tags which will eventually lead to performance issues/errors in 6.x+ versions of BP.  Combine the wildcard search with a TON of unique tags to query in the database and you have a recipe for disaster.  

So, the lessons here. You can use wildcards. Do not use date time stamp for tags. Keep the number of unique tags to a minimum.

I hope that helps.

Gabe Marquez
Blue Prism

Thank you for the reply. I have another question related to tag. Is there any restriction to a number of tags to be used. In general, how many number of tags can you add to a single case. Because in BP guide it says a maximum of 9 tags. But i would like to confirm. How much is the limit??

Keerthana J

We do have a limit of 9 tags but we recommend keeping the tag usage to as low as possible. I recommend keeping it between 1-3 for the best performance.

Gabe Marquez
Blue Prism

RakeshMudunuri
Level 3

Hi Keerthana,

can you let me know where you found document related to tags limit ?

Thanks

Rakesh

Thanks
Rakesh
RPA Developer
Thanks Rakesh RPA Developer