cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable MS Edge BP Extension

jgregor4
Level 6
Hi,
Does anyone know of a way to enable the BP MS Edge extension using a code stage of some kind.
The issue I am seeing is that randomly the extension is being disabled on resources so we have to log into them to re-enable using the Edge UI.
Not sure what is causing this to happen, so really wanting to build something out that could check and switch it on automatically.
I have been trying to use the MS Edge preferences file however it only seems to work 50% of the time, where it doesn't work the extension shows as being corrupted and we have to repair it then switch it on manually.
Any help with this would be very much appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

ewilson
Staff
Staff
Hi @jgregor4,

I'm not aware of a standard VBO for this, but I would think you could create one easy enough by building an app model of Edge, as a Windows app, and then click through the UI to check the state of the plugin.

Cheers,
Eric​

stepher
Level 6

Hi James,

I got around this, and several other challenges with MS Edge, by building a "wrapper object."  Specific to your question, when you start MS Edge with the "--force-renderer-accessibility" parameter, if the BP extension is not active, it will throw an exception.  I use that exception to then direct the WO to turn turn the extension on.

I use the URL of whichever setting I am trying to address to go directly to the option.  In this case, "edge://extensions/".  I ended up having to use UIA definitions to access the checkboxes, but the state of the checkbox is read accurately and the combination of "focus" and "Global Mouse Click Center" are able to change the state of the checkbox.

I have not had a problem with the rest of the object picking up immediately after enabling the extension, but your experience may vary.  It might be a better option to close out and restart MS Edge, if you wanted to be absolutely certain.

If any of this doesn't make sense, please let me know and I can try to clarify.

Good Luck,
Red

Robert "Red" Stephens Application Developer, RPA Sutter Health Sacramento, CA

jgregor4
Level 6

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have already started to create a Win32 object that will then allow me to interreact with the settings​​ of Edge and so far seems to be ok.

I have also been told that potentially removing and reinstalling the extension can help prevent it randomly turning itself off so I am going to try that option too.