cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import CSV with data type text and semicolon delimiter

JeroenOosterhol
Level 4
I'm importing a CSV file using a semicolon delimiter, which works successfully. However, I would like to use data type Text during the import, as the data contains "00000" values that are transformed to "0" during import. How can I achieve this? I am trying to use TextFileColumnDataTypes, but I'm not sure how to specify it. Alternatively, I could work with a text to columns if the solution is easier. The code used is: Dim dw, ds, dr, qt As Object Try dw = GetWorkbook(Handle, Workbook) ds = GetWorksheet(Handle, Workbook, Worksheet) dr = ds.Range(Range) qt = ds.QueryTables.Add(Connection:="TEXT;" & Path, Destination:=dr) With qt  .FieldNames = True  .RowNumbers = False  .FillAdjacentFormulas = False  .PreserveFormatting = True  .RefreshOnFileOpen = False  .RefreshStyle = 1 'xlInsertDeleteCells  .SavePassword = False  .SaveData = True  .AdjustColumnWidth = True  .RefreshPeriod = 0  .TextFilePromptOnRefresh = False  .TextFilePlatform = 437  .TextFileStartRow = 1  .TextFileParseType = 1 'xlDelimited  .TextFileTextQualifier = Qualifier  .TextFileConsecutiveDelimiter = False  .TextFileTabDelimiter = False  .TextFileSemicolonDelimiter = True  .TextFileCommaDelimiter = False  .TextFileSpaceDelimiter = False  .TextFileTrailingMinusNumbers = True End With qt.Refresh(False) Success = True Catch e As Exception  Success = False  Message = e.Message Finally  dw = Nothing  ds = Nothing  dr = Nothing  qt = Nothing End Try
12 REPLIES 12

AmiBarrett
Level 12

You need to have something that defines the column with typeof(String) Here's a C# action I wrote that'll handle CSVs with custom delimiters.

Inputs:
Delimiter - Text
Target - Text
headers - Flag

Outputs:
Collection - Collection  

var file = Target;
var parser = new TextFieldParser(file);
var dt = new DataTable();
parser.SetDelimiters(Delimiter);
string temp = "";
int count=0;
while(!parser.EndOfData)
{
   if(count==0)
   {
	   string[] columns = parser.ReadFields();
	   if(headers)
	   {
		  foreach(string title in columns)
		  {
			string colName = title;
			int num=0;
			while(dt.Columns.Contains(colName))
			{
				colName = string.Format("{0}_{1}",title,++num);
			}
			dt.Columns.Add(colName, typeof(String));
			temp+=title;
		  }
	   }
	   else
	   {
		   int fields = columns.Length;
		   int colCount=1;
		   while(colCount<=fields)
		   {
			   string colName="F"+colCount.ToString();
			   dt.Columns.Add(colName, typeof(String));
			   colCount++;
		   }				   
		   var dataTableRow = dt.NewRow();
		   dt.Rows.Add(columns);
	   }
   }  
   else 
   {
		var dataTableRow = dt.NewRow();
		dataTableRow.ItemArray = parser.ReadFields();
		dt.Rows.Add(dataTableRow);
	   //csvData.Rows.Add(fieldData);
   }  
   count++;
}
Collection = dt;
row = temp;

stefan.hansen
Level 4
I have been looking everywhere for this!! I really need to be able to import CSV to collection and specify which character splits the data.   But how do I use the code you wrote? If I make a new Object, make a new page on that object where I want to execute the code, make the data items/collection required, make a code stage with the input and outputs that you specified and copy/paste the code you wrote. Then I get 97 errors. It's like it can't use the language you wrote the code in - am I missing something?

stefan.hansen
Level 4
Ahh - just found it! At the Initialize page settings - Code options - In the buttom I could choose code language. BUT I still get this error: Page: Import CSV to collection Stage: Import CSV Type: Error Action: Validate Description: Compiler error at line 2: The type or namespace name 'TextFieldParser' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) Repairable: No @amibarrett - can you help?

AmiBarrett
Level 12

I've got this action in the middle of a bunch of other custom collection manipulation actions, so I'll just put all of the includes I put on the object. It's a bit of a shotgun blast and may import more than you actually need, but it should fix it. Please note that the file path has no quotes, and that the language is still C# despite the external ref and namespace for VB.

External Refs:
System.dll
System.Data.dll
System.Xml.dll
System.Drawing.dll
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\System.Core.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

Namespace Imports:
System
System.Drawing
System.Data
System.IO
Microsoft.VisualBasic
System.Collections.Generic
System.Text
System.Linq
Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileIO

ChristianJuhl
Level 4
@amibarrett I have tried to get this to work. I fixed all compile errors by adding the includes you have, but when I run the code stage the output is not written to the collection. It simply remains empty. Any ideas?

AmiBarrett
Level 12
Found the problem! Looks like this was an older pre-bugfix build I wrote while in my previous division. place int count=0; just before the while loop and it should resolve. Sorry about that!

ChristianJuhl
Level 4
That did the trick. Thanks!

Hi Ami, 

I have a semicolon delimited CSV and was very happy to read you built a C# function for it. I made the action and changed the language to C# but I am lost when it comes to the 'includes on the object' that need to be imported you are talking about. Could you explain in a bit more detail what needs to happen before this code will work?

Hope you can help! 

Best,
Nanne

------------------------------
Nanne van der Wal
Advisor
EY
Europe/Amsterdam

When the forum migrated to the current software, it broke the formatting of a bunch of old posts. I've edited it for readability.

In the same place where you changed the code to C#, you should be able to modify the External References and Namespace Imports with the list in the previous post.

Ami Barrett
Lead RPA Software Developer
Solai & Cameron
Richardson, TX