Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run an application in Background mode

RSHERRY
Staff
Staff

Hi All 

I have been working with BP for 6 months now and have successfully written an object that interacts with an application called NITRO in the front end. 

Nitro is a windows application and is used to merge documents into one document. 

I have used global send keys and active application to navigate through the application . 

The problem now is that the object needs to be run  as a background process where the VM is not open on someone's desktop. 

Would someone please have a list of the backend actions that I can use instead fo global send keys and is there a training course in the academy that will help me get a better understanding of creating a completely back end object that interacts with a windows application . 

Many thanks

Rachael 

------------------------------
Rachael Sherry
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

Hi, Rachael,

in case you use Activate Application and Send Keys your process needs to have an active desktop. However, it does not mean that VM needs to be open on someone's desktop. You can use Login Agent to login into VM (without being open on someone's desktop) and then you can run the process itself. Then you can use Logout process to log out from the VM.

Regards

Zdenek

Zdeněk Kabátek
Head of Professional Services
NEOOPS
http://www.neoops.com/
Europe/Prague

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi, Rachael,

in case you use Activate Application and Send Keys your process needs to have an active desktop. However, it does not mean that VM needs to be open on someone's desktop. You can use Login Agent to login into VM (without being open on someone's desktop) and then you can run the process itself. Then you can use Logout process to log out from the VM.

Regards

Zdenek

Zdeněk Kabátek
Head of Professional Services
NEOOPS
http://www.neoops.com/
Europe/Prague

harish.m
Level 12

Hi Rachel,

As suggested by Zdenek Kabatek -  VM's are logged in by BOT by using login process. There is no restriction  on global send keys or active application as long as the application is active.

-----------------------
If I answered your query. Please mark it as the "Best Answer"

Harish Mogulluri
Lead developer
America/New_York TX
----------------------- If I answered your query. Please mark it as the "Best Answer" [FirstName] [LastName] [Designation] [JobTitle] [City] [State] [Phone]

Thank you Zdeněk and Harish 

I have discovered that my dev environment is not setup with the ability to schedule processes and so I was unable to test it properly. 

I am working on getting a test environment that allows me to schedule processes so that I can test that everything works as expected.

Regards

Rachael 

Rachael Sherry